

Village of Hamersville

Village Council Meeting

04 May 2026

The Council of the Village of Hamersville met in session at the Village Municipal Building on 04 May 2026. Members present were Beverly Coomer, Jerry Seibert, Tammy Keller , Cheryl Pierce, Charles Elliot Lindsey Marshall . Also, present were Mayor Justin Jones, Police Chief Guy Sutton, Travis Stone Police Officer. Tim Saylor Village Administrator, David Grimes Village Solicitor

Citizen PJ Minor full not used

The meeting was called to order at 7:11

Jerry: We should look at using Sheila as a backup considering that Melissa has a possible Family Medical Leave Act issue that she will have to address. This would allow her to take the time she needs and also allow us to have Financial meetings etc. and have a resource if needed.

Guy: We would need to appoint her as a deputy fiscal officer.

Jerry: Also, I wanted to bring up something that was mentioned in the last meeting. If Louie is on vacation that he would have to come back from vacation to take care of any emergency. I realize that is his responsibility but if he is in Key West Florida as we know he is an avid fisher. Would we really expect him to reel in head to shore to pack up and drive here? That's ridiculous and I would not want to work for anyone who treated me like that. So I propose we investigate other services that could take that off Louies shoulders so that he can take vacations and spend quality time with his family. Tim and I discussed Pac Power or looking into another as a backup.

Guy: The emergency call out is high at pac power.

Jerry: Yes would it be any higher than expecting a man to drive here for hours all the while he is paid and without sleep?

Justin: I need to address some things here. Is there any issues of Tim using social media to try and garner extra people to come to the meeting? That is within his purview as administrator. Has trying to get feedback and try to get attendance up in the meetings.

Tim reads a message asking if he had the authority to do so.

Justin: If Guy had done that, he would have gotten high fives around the table.

Bev: Its not just that he's setting the agenda and he's not following Roberts Rules of Order. And the chair is not always running the meeting.

Tim: I never did say we couldn't use Roberts Rules of Order.

Bev: Well, we did not last Monday.

Justin: Everyone has input on the agenda. I want to hear your input. My, my pro tempore and the administrator go through conversations to ensure we get things done. Here is an example, Hannah Park, they have stakes in the ground, Tim is pressuring them to let us do what we want with Hannah Park. They have it staked now to do some project.

All the guys that were here at Easter for the big power outage are all gone now it seems. We discussed this with them then. What Tim is pushing for is that we are allowed to use Hannah Park or they can start paying us to mow it and pay the back bill for doing so for over a year now.

Tim: Guy has something.

Guy: We need to do the 2nd reading on the bond sheet raising court cost by \$25. The total court cost will now be \$150.

Tim: That ORD would be 2026-07

Justin: Reads ORD 2026-07 Increasing Court Fees with no changes to fine amounts. And then asks Guy.

Guy: Discussion after the last meeting. Yes I explained criminal offense. This is not a court of record. It does not get entered into the system for background checks. Mayors court is a non court of record. It would be an unclassified misdemeanor. The magistrate, if she so chose could lock them up if they do not pay. But she is very fair and attempts to work things out before it gets to that.

Tammy: That's in any court.

Guy: Yes she will give them a time to pay. She is about as fair as anyone can get. For a cop to say that is the ultimate compliment. If we write a fix it ticket, she can inspect the corrected issue and drop the charges.

Bev: Do they still pay court costs?

Guy: No all charges drop. They pay nothing. The motorist has the privilege of driving on the highway. The state adjudicates that. These are no record so we can not ruin someones attempt to join the military so to speak.

Tim: I asked Daved to write it up as a way to make it civil and then go to the criminal

Guy: If he writes that that way, good for him.

Cheryl: Who would write it out.

Tim: If its civil I can hand it out. The ticket part would be the police.

Guy: There is a law in the basic code. Som have paid and still do not clean up. 4 years ago was the last citation. We cant write for \$25 it would cost us \$100 to do so.

Tammy: I do not want anyone to have a criminal record.

Guy: We get asked by recruiters if a kid has a record. But we never charge criminally unless its a Felony. Again we are not a court of record. So a recruiter will ask us if a certain young man or woman has a non recorded record for purposes of security clearances. That's all we answer.

Justin: Anymore questions for Guy? Travis anything?

Jerry: Guy I apologize you had to wait at the last meeting. I was not aware you had this to cover, I wish you had said something instead of having to sit here the whole time we discussed other business.

Jerry Motoins to approve the minutes. Chuck 2nds

Bev Y, Cheryl Y, Lyndsey Y, Tammy Y

Cheryl: Jerry would you please use my new last name on the minutes.

Jerry: yes, I sure can I apologize...Lyndsey not Lindsay interjected by Ms. Marshall

Jerry about paperwork needed in Council/Mayor Files. A list of documents was presented which are needed to get all files compliant.

Cheryl 2nds

Bev invited Tim to please stay during the executive session.

Lindsay Y, Tammy Y, Chuck Y, Bev Y

Bev Motions to leave executive session

Tammy 2nds

Jerry Y, Cheryl Y, Lyndsay Y, Chuck Y

Bev Motions for executive session Pursuant to ORC 121.22 G 1 about applications for a possible new village solicitor.

Jerry 2nds

Lyndsay Y, Tammy Y, Chuck Y, Cheryl Y

Bev Motions to leave executive session

Tammy 2nds

Lyndsay Y, Tammy Y, Chuck Y, Cheryl Y

Tim: Presents missing minutes for Jerry to prepare.

Also the corrected meeting schedule.

Bev: May 18th we will not have a quorum. Most of us will be in an ethics training that is being offered.

Tim: Can we all do the 20th then?

Mayor and all of council agree on the new revised date for the May 18th meeting.

We also need the 2nds reading of Ord 2026-06

Justin: Reads ORD 2026-03 Updated sewer rates 3rd Reading.

Bev: Do we post before its final. Could we get a bulletin board.

Tammy: Post online and public would be better.

Bev: Post effective date also.

Tim: Fiscal stuff is done and presented a bulletin board to post ORD/RES on.

Pac Power is complete with the upgrade repair of the lines. We will have the new waterline going in Dooley in June.

Bev: the dumpsters

Tammy: Could we have them put back where they were?

Tim: We cant do that because of the project at Hannah Park, and if we put them anywhere else we would need to put gravel down so they could be serviced.

Also I have 2 ORD one for trash and the other for grass. Escalating from civil to no reported criminal as Guy explained. If we do this with a clean up day in June we need to move on this quickly. My hope is to get the first reading out of the way at least. We can adjust before the next meeting.

Jerry: Asks Bev to send Angela Marlow a text as she cannot see the live feed and I cannot respond as I'm recording the minutes.

Tim: The one about cars is not if you are repairing the car its about the junk cars that sit and sit forever it seems.

Bev: What happened with the cameras on Mill St?

Jerry: The cameras for there are not operational. Eid used the hard drive from that system because when he looked at the cameras in here he determined the issue was the hard drive. To get those over there running we would need a new hard drive.

Tim: We would need a WIFI signal there also which would cost additional money around \$200 a month.

Tammy: How about the crosswalk signs.

Tim: Its around \$5600 for us to do it. Jerry what did ODOT say?

Jerry: ODOT said they would not provide due to traffic, if we got the fancy signs with buttons and everything we would have to pay. They would not supply.

Justin: Read Trash Junk Nuisance ORD 2026-08

Tammy: The crosswalks we need to do something.

Chuck: The issue is how close people park to the crosswalk.

Cheryl: The curbs used to be painted before could we do that.

Bev: Are we responsible as a village to paint them.

Justin: Curb paint is expensive if we do that. Just so you know.

Tim: Yes we would have to pain. And it seems like you all want 30 to 40 ft.

Chuck: If you stop the parking that will mess up street parking.

Bev: How many lights?

Tim: Three sets, one at Travis, Sistersville, and by the Dairy Bar.

Jerry: Back to the ORD we need to add the exceptions, wet area, unsafe etc.

Justin: 1st Reading 2026-08 and 1st Reading 2026-09 Regulating Grass and Weeds.

Fine Citation \$100, \$250, \$500

Cheryl: Does it state what they are charged?

Bev: If they are elderly I'll volunteer to help clean it up.

Justin: I'll be there with you.

David: Answering Cheryl's question: That is up to the magistrate.

Bev: We couldn't fine someone. We should have a time limit.

Justin: Tim

Tim: We can do that. The paving project we have. One company wanted to charge us \$37K for a 200ft stretch of Wayne Ave. This other company will do Wayne and Dooley for the same price.

Bev: What's up with the hole outside with the cone.

Tim: Justice is getting the stuff to fix that.

Lyndsay: Gray house off 774 there is a crack on the shoulder of the road. We should look at.

Tim: If we get Dooley done along with that it would be nice. ITs gravel we cant plow in the winter and Rumpke will not run trucks up there. I would like to do a guardrail on the left. If you drive past Dooley T posts with so people stop driving over it. I also spoke to Eric McKinney about an easement and just move the water main. This would put it far enough off the road it shouldn't be an issue going forward.

Cheryl: How long would this take?

Tim: Dooley a single day, Wayne Ave would take 2 days to complete.

Chuck: Have you thought of using GEOTEX tile on Dooley?

Tim: We could look into that. Also after a committee meeting I was scolded because something was brought up and I have not addressed this concern. But it was brought up before I was the administrator.

We have not shut someone's power off because someone has turned a duplex into a triplex. There are two bills for the duplex and now someone is living in the basement renting it out and its now a triplex. Also at Justin Crawford's he has someone living in his new

garage, he has water sewer and electric ran there. Also the camper connected into the sewer with the Amish shed. They are not being charged.

Bev: How many?

Tim: Three, the old house, the garage and the Amish shed.

Bev: we have an ordinance stating you cannot live in a temporary shelter.

Tim: I explained it to Dairy and he knows there is a chance he will be charged.

Cheryl: By the landlord.

Tim: No the owner renting it out.

Justin: Weve raised the bar in the town and we the regular residents need to stop carrying the burden.

Bev: we cant let one get away with it and not do another. Justin are we going to backdate?

All of council agrees to not backdate.

Bev: If it were truly temporary but he made a shed over it.

Tim: Currently the bills ar this.

1 Electric water and sewer

1 Water and Sewer

1 Sewer and Water.

Any utility usage not documented from this point forward? I suggest

Charging the Duplex as a Triplex 3

Additional charge for the outbuilding adding that

One temp into the regular with the home and garage.

Questions were asked and he defined what exactly a billable address is according to code.

Chuck: The difference is one is a commercial tenant and not a family

David asked clarifying questions about how to word the Ord.

Tim: A concerned citizen was concerned that I was not turning them off. The duplex is split into two services, but the tenant in the basement makes three. We know this as they are the only place in town where we have to enter a dwelling to read a meter.

David: I'll write explaining what triggers a new bill, living quarters, and or a new address.

Cheryl: Is apt a or b?

Tim: The third apartment has a number on the door. The other issue is there are always things in the way of getting to the meter to even read them.

Cheryl: They should have to pay.

Chuck: Check with the postmaster is there a billable third address.

Bev: The current Ord is everyone should be billed separately.

Tim: Your thoughts on paving?

Bev: Do we need three estimates?

Tim: No since its under \$75K the street account is pressured. Right now we make \$5 for each registered car in Hamersville. We could raise that.

Council said no.

Tim: Storage building estimates we given for the outbuilding proposed.

Tammy: Crosswalks are more important than storage.

Bev: Is mill st cleared out.

Justin: Somewhat

Bev: we have heat in there correct?

Tim: Yes for the trailer. Which is an issue as the trailer is so long its difficult to back in.

Chuck: We could look into a battery powered trailer assist.

Tim: At the utility meeting we can look at it. I would like to go on a field trip. To mill street and also go out to the lift station.

Justin: About storage my office is more and more cramped as we go.

Tammy: We would have to get the right size so we do not need two eventually.

David: About a question asked about the BPA, and ordered by the BPA to the Admin does not negate anything. Answering Bev

David: We need a council consensus. If I answer every question presented to me, I'll do so but you will see this in your bill.

Bev: I've asked this before.

David: If there are concerns typically the mayor or administrator brings those to my attention.

Cheryl: A question what can we use Rita funds on.

Justin: It goes into the general fund and is unrestricted to my knowledge.

Bev: One village got sued for using Rita money for the Police. I don't think Rita can be used for Police. If the Police want money they need to pass a levy.

Cheryl: Guy said that Rita can be used for the police

Jerry: Explains the sewer/water questions.

Bev Motions Cheryl 2nds

To spend up to \$6,000 on crosswalks, to include lights etc to make safe for pedestrians from the RITA account money.

Chuck Y, Tammy Y, Lyndsay Y, Jerry Y

Tim: The lights in the officer here are past their lifespan. One set actually almost caught on fire.

Jerry Motions Bev 2nds

To spend up to \$1,000 from all accounts to purchase and update light fixtures in the administration building.

Cheryl Y, Tammy Y, Chuck Y, Lyndsay Y

Tim: Call out policy took out number eleven off the list per your request. Also Melissa needs to see in the minutes that I have three weeks of vacation.

All: Agree that this will suffice for Melissa to have authorization to show Tim has three weeks of vacation.

Tim: Paid time off rollover policy. Pull out pay is at 80%. But this has to be voluntarily at 80%. And for salaried employees do we front load or accrue.

Justin: Front load makes more sense to me.

Cheryl: I have always had accrual not front loaded.

PTO Rollover policy agreed upon by all council members.

Jerry Motioins Tammy 2nds

To accept the new paid time off rollover policy as presented in the meeting.

Cheryl Y, Bev Y, Lyndsay Y, Chuck Y

Cheryl Motions to adjourn the meeting Tammy 2nds.

COUNCIL MEETINGS

2026

April 27, 2026

May 18, 2026

June 22, 2026

July 27, 2026

August 24, 2026

September 21, 2026

October 26, 2026

November 16, 2026

December 14, 2026

May 2026

****All dates are subject to change pending any unforeseen circumstances****

Village of Hamersville

Council Meeting Agenda

Date: _____

Time: _____

Location: _____

1. Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
2. Roll Call
3. Special Guest/Speakers (ex: AEP, Contractors, etc.)
4. Public Participation
5. Approval of Minutes
6. Approval of Bills
7. Fiscal Officer Report
8. Administrator Report
9. Department Reports
10. Committee Reports (Jerry policy/procedure, pto policy.)
11. Old Business

Percentage of pay for administrator, quarterly committee meetings, sewer overage rate ordinance (3rd read), ordinance for junk/trash (enforce redo), David Fire Contract, Apartment with multiple dwellers multi tap fee, tap removal (all) 2nd, Water in crocks from sump pumps in violation of code asked for Code enforcement guidance, PacPower Support, Admin. Functions covering multiple positions.

quarterly committee meetings, pto policy

Need readings on agenda policy/ord

12. New Business

Ideas for America 250 Float, using pack power as backup

13. Adjournment

Pierce
Cheryl Toppin Cheryl Pierce Charles Elliot _____

Bev Coomer Beverly Coomer Lyndsay Marshal Lyndsey Marshall

Jerry Seibert [Signature] Tammy Keller Tammy Keller